Courgette flowers have a beautiful taste and are delicious in these more-ish Indian snacks.
You can replace the courgette flowers with courgette, spinach, kale, carrot, beetroot – try any vegetable that doesn’t need to be cooked.
- 100g gram flour
- 50g courgette flowers
- 1-3 green chillies
- ½ tsp hot chilli powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 50 ml water
- Prepare the courgette flowers by carefully opening them and snipping out the stamen in the middle with a pair of scissors. The stamen is edible but bitter so best to get rid of it. Clean them with a mushroom brush.
- Chop flowers into small pieces.
- Sieve the gram flour into a bowl.
- Add the other ingredients and flowers into the bowl and mix together. Whisk it to get a bit of air into the mixture if you have time.
- If the mixture is too runny add a little flour and if it’s too dry add a little water. It should be a thick consistency, so that it doesn’t run off a spoon.
- Heat an inch of vegetable oil in a frying pan, until a cube of bread fizzes when you drop it in.
- Place a teaspoonful of mixture in the oil, and repeat until you have filled the pan.
- Leave them for 2 minutes.
- Turn them over, they should be golden and crispy. If they’re dark, turn the heat down, if they’re not crispy turn it up.
- Fry for another 2 minutes until golden on both sides.
- Best served warm, but are also good cold.
- Serve with natural yogurt or mango chutney.
Leave a Reply