I wanted to make a proper Thai curry for some vegetarian friends, and so I dredged the internet for ideas for a replacement for fish sauce. In my view, without fish sauce a Thai curry does not taste right.
As I had a bottle of fish sauce in my fridge I was able to try both and adjust this recipe. I believe the substitute I made gave a similar flavour.
They do now sell vegan fish sauce in the supermarkets so it’s no longer necessary to make it! Anyway, here is the recipe if you want to make your own.
The great thing was I discovered wakame seaweed from making this sauce. A bag of it keeps for months and you can add it to soup, salad, and stir fry.
- ½ cup fresh or dried shredded wakame
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed not peeled
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- ½ cup soy sauce
- handful of chopped fresh or dried shitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp miso paste
- Add the wakame, garlic, peppercorns and 2 cups of water to a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain and return liquid to the saucepan.
- Add the soy sauce, bring back to the boil and cook until the mixture is reduced and extremely salty.
- Remove from heat and stir in the miso paste.
- Put into a bottle or jar and keep in the fridge.
- Can be frozen in ice cubes.
Leave a Reply