I had never cooked with sorrel before, but I love spinach soup so decided to use the sorrel in the same way. Sorrel has a beautiful lemony flavour that I feel enriched the soup and I would love to grow some more to make this again.
This is what I received from Tooting Community Garden:
The sorrel is the spinachy-looking leaves in the middle. I made a salad out of the radishes, lambs lettuce, and broad bean tops and used the fresh leeks and sorrel to make the soup.
From the garden:
- 2 small or 1 large leek(s), sliced
- Handful of sorrel, chopped
- Chives for decoration (optional)
- 2 small potatoes, diced
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- creme fraiche (optional)
- 20g butter
- Salt and pepper
- Fry the leeks in butter until they are soft.
- Add the potatoes, milk and stock and cook for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the sorrel and cook on a low heat for a minute.
- Use a hand blender to blend the soup until smooth.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with creme fraiche and fresh chives.
Leave a Reply